Porcelain Crowns in Little Italy Toronto.
Porcelain crowns are custom caps placed on top of the tooth. They restore the shape, size, and function of a weakened or damaged tooth.
Who needs a dental crown?
Your dentist may recommend getting a dental crown to:
- Strengthen a decayed or damaged tooth
- Keep a cracked tooth together
- Support a tooth with a large filling
- Serve as an anchor for your dental bridge
- Fix misshapen teeth
- Mask discoloured teeth
- Cover a tooth that received root canal treatment
How does the porcelain crown procedure work?
Placing a dental crown usually takes two dental visits. Here’s what you can expect on your first and second visits:
During your first visit
- Your dentist examines the tooth receiving the crown. They may take x-rays of it to further evaluate the bone around it.
- Depending on the condition of the tooth, you may require other dental procedures before getting a dental crown.
- A root canal may be necessary if the tooth is severely decayed or infected, or if the dental pulp is damaged. Filling material can also be applied to ensure there’s enough tooth structure for the crown to encase.
- Then, the tooth will be filed down to make room for your dental crown. The crown has to fit snugly, so the amount of teeth to be removed will depend on the size and type of your crown. After preparing the tooth, your dentist takes an impression of it. Then, they send the impression to the dental lab technician who will fabricate your dental restoration.
- Your dentist may provide you with a temporary crown to protect the prepared tooth.
On your second visit
- Your temporary crown is removed, and your dentist checks the fit of your final crown.
- If you’re happy with your crown, your dentist will proceed to cement it.
- They’ll numb the tooth with local anesthetic and attach your new crown.
Are dental crowns painful?
Like any dental procedure, dental crowns can also have potential side effects. The area may feel sensitive after the procedure, and exposure to heat and cold may trigger discomfort.
The sensitivity should be temporary, however. If it persists, let your dentist know. The crown may need adjustments, which your dentist can do for you.
Benefits of a porcelain crown
- Discreet. Porcelain crowns can be colour-matched to your natural teeth for a discreet look.
- Durable. These crowns can last for up to 15 years with proper care.
- Protective. Your weakened tooth is protected against premature wear and tear, thanks to your dental crown.
- Low-maintenance. Porcelain crowns don’t require special care. Like your natural teeth, they only need regular brushing, flossing, and routine dental checks.
- Stain-resistant. Dental crowns don’t discolour or get stained.
Learn more about getting dental crowns
A dental crown provides a new appearance for your tooth. It rebuilds a tooth that a filling alone won’t be able to fix. Its lifelike appearance makes it seem like it’s been part of your smile all along.
If you have a damaged or weak tooth that you would like repaired in Toronto, ON, contact us today at Little Italy Dentistry.
Let’s arrange an initial consultation with the dentist at your convenience. Learn more about dental crowns and determine whether they’re the right solution for your dental concerns.
Kind words from
Little Italy Dental was a great visit for me. I contacted 3 dental places and you called me back, sent me the forms to complete prior to the appointment and then came in for the appointment. Very thorough, courteous and patience. I do not like going to the dentist but I have too and felt comfortable at this dental practice.
Thank you. See you again. Take care.
– Joanne Cioffi
Had a great experience here getting orthodontic work done. I was a bit of a tricky case because I lost retainers that were approx 15 years old, and Ramona Dico was super patient trying to get the right remodeling done. She was diligent in getting it corrected when the fit wasn’t quite right the first time I had a fitting, without making me feel like a difficult patient. I recommend this clinic. Thanks so much!
– Laura Burns
Your First Visit
Our team believes in accessible dental care. We offer straightforward pricing, clear estimates,
and an unprecedented dental warranty. Keep up with your routine 6-month checkups and if something
needs fixing, we’ll handle it at no cost to you.
Accepting New Patients. No Referral Necessary.